Thursday 26 July 2007

Downward Spirals

Since my last post its has been a downward spiral . I have experienced a huge amount of downswing on my bankroll . The explanations are clear to see . I have been playing tired . I have been playing at my chip shop (that is pure madness) . I have been playing on tilt . I have been playing Badly .

As well as all of this if you are unaware of the floods in the uk . I work in worcester and live in gloucester so to be honest life has been a bit of a nightmare .

However these are just excuses or as someone once told me (probably myself) just a story i have been telling myself .

To be honest i think i had been tilting pretty badly over the weekend of the 13th and 14th of july , and then as i usually do , i go up to the higher limits . I got sucked out with AA vs 10 10 , when the villain hit trips for $245 on stars , then managed to enter a limit holdem sng for $50 which i just could not play and that was the end of my stars BR for the moment

I have done similar things on fulltilt losing nearly 30% of my roll through playing above my limits and poor play .

Then as i have been doing frequently , i started studying some of the blogs . I noiced that brian was on a huge downswing and made a post there , this got me to thinking about my own poker situation .

wanting to post and not wishing to make the post sound too negative , i had a long think about the lack of discipline that is sometimes in my life and therefore my game . When its quiet in the chip shop i play poker . What an absurd thing to do . At home when i am really tired i play 4 tables , again that just no good . These things i have too change .

The worst thing about it al though was having to deal with the loss of my bankroll , that is depressing or was !! Yep i have managed to overcome the sense of loss by reminding myself that i am still winning !! After building my roll up from $350 to nearly %1900 over the last few months , well mid april actually . I still am around the $1100 mark . So i am still winning.
I have used the last week as a lesson in how to recover from downswings and from tilting .

Some of the things i did are as followed , I reviewed my play . I had a rest . I dropped down a level to 10 / 25 for a few days to regain my confidence . I watched a few vids . I didnt have a break though but that will come when i get back to $1500 so i feel like i can start again !!

So were ready to rock and roll . This weekend i will play a little but concentrate on a timetable to bring the discipline back into my game .

Well thats it for now . See you at the tables .

2 comments:

losbert said...

Graham

You and every one in the UK affected by the floods has my deepest sympathies in view of what's happening around the country at the moment. How badly have you been affected. I'm from Leicester and we have fortunately got off very lightly.

If I were you I'd take a break from poker for a few days so that you can clear your head and when you play again are playing in the right frame of mind. I have learnt to my cost that playing when tired or tilting is not a good idea.

Good luck and all the best to you and every one in Worcester and Gloucester

grinder said...

Thanks very much

To be honest , were a lot better of than most people , as one of my chip shops is in worcester its not flooded and i have water so i transport about
20 gallons in a potato barrel each day . This helps us cope just fine
However we do use that water so i cant imagine what it nust be like for some people . We also have cousins in Tewkesbury !! Its pretty mad at the moment

I not quite in the resting frame of mind at the mo . I have destroyed my modem at work !!
Some of my biggest losses ever have been at the chip shop during opening times when i have not been concentrating .

The thing is i spent a lot of time yesterday reading about tilting and how to get around it etc etc
Zpaceman has a great post on pocket fives re this and it sort of just clicked what my problems were

No dicipline . No preparation . No routine . bu ti think this is all sorted .