Wednesday 9 January 2008

January Update

As with pretty much everyone i seemed to have started off with a pretty big
downswing that sort of got re versed and then i went on another downswing

I dont want to say that the downswing is down to variance as that is just an excuse ( i think )and i want to take responsibility for my play . I was going over my big wins and losses , i am not sure if that is a good way to look at things but i have 10 big wins to 9 big losses . The problem is that the losses have been bigger than the wins ( Typical )

One of the other problems i have been having apart from the coolers is that i seem to be getting played back at an awful lot .

I have been trying to work out the strategy for dealing with this sort of situation
if there is one . EG I have KQ s on the button , i get 1 caller , the flop comes rainbow something like 47J . As i always do i c bet this flop . But then here is the problem . I get minraised !! what do i do now ? Sometimes i call and then i get no help on the turn and feel like i have to check . Villain then makes a pot sized bet and i have to fold .

This is a situation that i seem to come across frequently and would like some advice on what is a good line to take

Ill post a couple of hands that i was really disappointed with , my biggest loser for definate , but i just wanted to get a post up to keep the momentum going .

I am currently on a 5 buyin downswing over 3k hands
The frustrating thing is , is that fell i am playing ok or at least comfortable with my play . How can this be ? I 5 buyins down for christ's sake , Madness !!

Anyway later all

4 comments:

Warren Hennessy said...

You seem very results orientated. I hate that cliche' but it is very true.

Let the results do what they want and focus 100% of your energy of plugging tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny leaks. Every cent you put in the pot should be calculated and have strong logical reasoning.

If you continue to think about results you are truly affecting your ability to move foward. I'm not sure how long you have been playing, but this really comes down to time.

Keep at it.

Marc said...

5 BI in 3k hands? It takes true skill to do that! (Because I suck at the internet, that's humor because it's exactly how I've started 2008.)

No fun at all, but I don't think we can even begin to think of these as true downswings, both in terms of length or severity. They suck, but if we just keep playing solid, they will dissipate.

As far as getting played back at when you miss, I think that's a huge part of any downswing. A mistake I personally make too often is assuming that we are getting outplayed all the time, which results in poor calls (at best) or spew (at worst) on my part. I think if you are playing against a reg, you can call down a TP or good second pair hand sometimes, just to show that he can't blatantly bluff you off a hand...even if it is a pot size bet on the river that you call. You may even want to do that against a reg with a better than TP hand, just to put some doubt in his mind for next time. But in reality, that stuff probably doesn't matter until the players improve (i.e., higher stakes).

Hang in there, and here's to our crew getting some better cards shortly!

RakebackFAQ said...

If it dosent work try something diffrent. You know you dont have to C bet every single time. Picking good spots to do it and players to do it against you will make money and you shouldnt let it bother you.

Good luck

Gregory Lynn said...

Everything the others have said so far is absolutely true.

It is very hard to concentrate on making good decisions when you're losing but it's absolutely essential. For practice, try concentrating harder on making good decisions when you're winning. Criticize yourself more when you're winning and maybe you won't question yourself so much when you're losing.

I was playing like crap for much of the last four months and it felt like I was getting played back at an awful lot. You know what, I probably was and with good reason...I wasn't handling it well.

Most of the time they aren't playing back at you, they have something and it just feels like they're playing back at you because either they are hitting more frequently than you expect or you're hitting less frequently than you expect. There's not a damn thing you can do about the cards. All you can control is the bets.

If you c-bet less then you c-bets will get more respect. If you happen to get into a situation where you feel like a specific guy is targeting you and abusing position well, he probably is. Then realize that if he's floating then his hand range is wider which means you can profitably check raise the turn with a wider range.

I played bad a lot in 2007. I have three or four periods where I had my head so far up my ass pokerwise it's amazing I could still see the cards.

That feeling of frustration is one of the warning signs. Nip that steaming monkey tilt in the bud.