Monday 10 September 2007

Interesting Insights

If you have read my last blog youll probably know that i had been having a turbulent week . Thats probably the best way to describe it . Sadly my paint programe is not working so i cant show screen pics.I have all the details and have been reviewing the last 9 days and they have shown up some interesting insights into my play last week.

My figures are as follows. Sadly i have only managed to play 2838 hands so far , after a manical start i slowed right down . I 1 tabled 100 nl and on occasions 1 or 2 tables the 50 nl in order to bring some sanity back to my week .

My VSPIP is at 20.54 which is slightly higher than it should be . The disorganised routine that i had lead to me probably playing looser than i should .

My PFR has dropped by about 25% to 12.47 . I think the major reason here is lack of confidence and calling raises more as opposed to raising. this was really interesting to discover as although i probaly was aware i wasnt paying that much attention

I have lost $191.97 to date , i had been down to -$323 , but i am expexcting this to change and become a positive . This will give me a good indication into my ability at this level

Another poor figure is my Small Blind % which is currently 30.30 . Again this illustrates how your play changes with lack of confidence . Its obvious i am completing the blind in order to hit a hand to win back my lost $ , -EV for sure here.

So while reviewing the last 9 days i got an insight into some interesting factors about my play and its also reminded me of a story about the guy who had this really , really expensive piano , but it was out of tune and had not been tuned for a a very long time . He obviously called the piano tuner who spent an absolute age
tuning it . He presented him with the bill and said " Ill see you in a weeks time then " the guy nearly fell off his chair " what do you mean , youll see me in a weeks time " he replied " I thought you just tuned it !! " . The Piano tuner then went on to explain that the strings were set in a certain position and would return there quite soon . They would need fine tuning over the next few weeks and then gradually over the coming months the time in between tuning the strings would increase as they adapted to there knew positions .

Its a little bit like somone going on a massive run and then saying " right thats it i , wont need to excersice ever again , i done my run and that will last for a while " it doesnt work like that . Things have to be worked on constantly and its the same with this mad game of poker . You constantly have to adjust your play to how it should be and this is done by annalysing how you are playing

Another thing that i am going to do is a weekly review . At least that way i can fool myself into thinking if i start winning this week then i will be winning in order to help the confidence . As i think somomone once told me there is not much difference between real and pretend feelings

Good Luck At The Tables

2 comments:

Marc said...

Those are some good insights. I am actually pretty good at going through the motions of reviewing my play, but I wonder how well I translate that into learning new string positions, as in your analogy. It's hard (or at least it hasn't happened to me) to quickly remove big leaks, and anything we can do to remove them permanently is just awesome.

On a hopefully related note, please send me your email address (mine is pokerrow at gmail). You, pkr_brat, and losbert expressed interest in my study idea, so I want to continue the conversation in a group email for now, until we figure out all the logistics, format, etc. Thanks.

losbert said...

Graham if you've lost a bit of confidence and your not playing your A game take a break for a few days.

We all go through downswings, it won't last.

Good luck

Chris