Sunday 6 July 2008

Poker Thoughts and Reflection

So at the end of May the plan was to Reflect and comment on the year before . In true style that didn,t materialise So a little later than originally planned and more a reflection on my learnings and shortfallings and some general ramblings here is something

During June I got to realize that I call too much , particularly large turn bets when I am on a draw , looking back through June I can see this is a big leak !! Hopefully someone can confirm this

Another thing that I felt happened apart from the usual bad beats was I got involved with short stacks to much and my play against them was pretty much to feel they were committed and just get it all in at some stage , again I fell this is a leak

Whilst reading the blogs I came across an entry from Greg all about results and being results
Orientated , as with most things I sort of don’t get them straight away , they sort of slowly filter into me , and at some stage during June it finally all filtered through

So now the important things for me whilst playing are the decisions , I am less worried about the results or the variance to a degree and far more concerned with the decisions I am making
So that is a good point

I will high light some week points in my poker life and hopefully this will stimulate my brain a little . Firstly I don’t really study , I play , don’t ask me why but I just do , id much rather play than pick up a book or watch a video , I have and I do both , but not as part of any plan , and maybe theres a thing there , NO PLAN !!

Wow I just realized another really important thing , I seldomly review hands !! how can I have forgotten that !! that’s a nother thng I need to work on !!

“And One More Thing “ !! in the words of Jackie Chan’s Uncle ( you have to watch the cartoon !! )

I don’t sweat or blog enough !!

So at some stage of the month I intend to formulate a plan or timetable for my poker playing
And studying and try to work it into my lifestyle

Although the above doesn’t run in a particular order within this entry it should be way way at the top . This is a big leak , Lack of Discipline , like I said I play more than I study

Please comment with ideas on the above !! and how you do these things

Edit …man I need to make a plan…a proper plan…

PS… any tips on hand reading

Ok .. This entry probably reflects my poker life , Unorganised… that’s probably the best word to use

July Goal - ORGANISATION

4 comments:

mongoose said...

lol, yeah, a little organization never hurts.

definitely studying changes results more than doing the same things over and over.

good luck on getting a bit of balance into your approach to the game. i'm sure finding a mix that lets you enjoy playing, as well as acquire more skills, will pay off better in the long run.

Gregory Lynn said...

"During June I got to realize that I call too much , particularly large turn bets when I am on a draw , looking back through June I can see this is a big leak !! Hopefully someone can confirm this"

I can confirm that this is a gigantic leak. Peeling once with position is not bad imho when the guy is a habitual c-better but calling big turn bets is a sign that you hate money.

And how do I know?

Because I have done it about a billion times.

Try this. For a while, look at the flop and see if you think it really hit his range. If not, raise. If so, and he's a habitual c-better, call and make him bet again. If he does, fold. If he doesn't, bet.

Gregory Lynn said...

Also on finding time to watch the videos and study, I offer two pieces of advice.

One, Deuces Cracked has come out with a TON of low stakes NL content lately and it's pretty much all good stuff. Quite a few of these vids are iPod compatible so what I've done is take them to work and watch them on lunch and in the men's room. I spend way too much time in the men's room, I'm sure.

Also there is a podcast called Cash Plays which you can find at pokerroad.com. I don't know that it applies to low stakes all that much but it gets you thinking about poker and that's the first step. The past month or two of this show has been long conversations with some high limit players about a whole range of poker stuff and it's almost all outstanding.

But a plan definitely helps.

Marc said...

I think it's pretty important to have at least a high level plan...unless you're playing full time probably having too much detail in your plans is a waste because other things creep in. You're correct in couple things you posted about.

I assume by calling big bets on the turn, you mean there are not enough implied odds. If there's enough behind and you have a read that villain will stack off on the river, calling a big turn bet can be fine. But if you don't have reason to believe you'll get paid if you hit, it's a huge leak.

The other thing is that you need to do something besides play, or you will continue to have the same game, and it doesn't sound as if that's what you're after. Easier said than done, though....it's not enough to just read something or watch something, you need to think pretty deeply about it.

I won't give you any specific advice about hand-reading since it's still the weakest part of my game, imo, but your hand reading will improve with experience if you focus on it. Whether during play, review, or even watching a video, try to figure what people will show up with. You'll see where you're good and where you're not at figuring it out, and that's a start.